Monday, January 13, 2014

This is Harder than I Thought

This writing every day.  It's harder than I thought it was going to be.  If Alaska doesn't take a nap one day or we're not home it doesn't get done.  But I can keep it up.  It's important to me and even if I can only do it for this one year of our young family's life, that will be a year recorded.

I've got a whole post for my dumb doctor's appointment.  A whole rant and rave but I've got other things to talk about right now.  Like how on Friday (10th) Steven had the day off and we went out on a real date.  A grown-up date of a movie and dinner.  I had read The Book Thief last year and fell in love with it.  Absolutely best book ever, hands down.  The descriptive writing in it is amazing.  Talking about the sky after bombs had been dropped and fires had been burning, bringing lots of haze and smoke to an already cloudy day, "It was a boiling pot of tomato soup."  And talking about a seedy old man, "His teeth elbowed each other for room."  Brilliant, right?  Not to mention the main character loves words.  Can't get enough of them.  Loves the stories they tell and loves the way they can describe an ordinary image and make it touchable.

The movie was only playing in select theaters and I didn't have the energy to think about it playing in Portland, but when my mom went and saw it in Vancouver and came back singing its praises I couldn't resist.  I begged Steven to go with me.  Not because I thought he would like it but because I loved the book so much I wanted to share it and knew he would never read it.  It held its ground and will definitely be a movie we will be getting when it comes out even though we don't even own a tv to watch it on.  I didn't have to hold my breath at the climaxes when you hope with all your heart everything will turn out ok because I remembered but Steven most definitely squeezed my hand harder in some parts than others as his wishes came through in his body language and once he had to lean over and ask, "He doesn't die, right?"

My mom summed it up correctly as a movie that makes you want to go back and read the book again.  That good.

We went out to dinner at a Thai restaurant afterwards that was most definitely not the best I have ever had but it was nice to try something new.  The place was constantly bubbling with people and we witnessed two senior double-dates.  It was so sweet to see and cute when they all bought a dish but then split it four ways as they all tried a little bit of everything.  Someday I will do that.

Afterwards we stopped by Target to get a few more things for Alaska and everything on the belt was pink.  It was really exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment