Saturday, January 18, 2014

January 17th

Tricky part of having my writing time in the middle of the day is that sometimes my day hasn't been too eventful as of yet in the middle of the day.  So even if I write in past tense, saying yesterday and all that, I really am talking about the 17th.  It just happens that I am writing on the 18th.

Yesterday afternoon I went to Steve's work to get my biometric screening done for an incentive.  It was pretty cool.  They took a little blood and found out all this cool stuff about me.  Like how super duper healthy I am.  Which was awesome.  The next part of this deal to get the incentive is to go type all my numbers in a program that will tell me what I need to do to improve my numbers.  I will interested to see what it thinks I should do as there was nothing questionable and nothing even within 5 points of being questionable.  I was pretty much right in the middle of 'normal' or 'optimum'.  Go me!

I was really nervous about it all because you had to fast for it.  Right now I am off of my eating every 2 hours schedule but am currently on an eating every 4 hours schedule or I get terribly sick and end up visiting the bathroom and dryheaving into the toilet because everything has digested.  Add a headache to that, that tylenol doesn't help, and you've got one unhappy sicky.  Hence why I was nervous to take this test.  But I said a prayer and did it.

Our appointment was in the afternoon so we were allowed a light breakfast.  I am so confused now when I hear light.  As in, does it mean a 'small' breakfast or a breakfast low in carbs?  I ate oatmeal and a glass of raspberry tea.  And then prayed.  Seriously prayed.  And put all my money down that I could make until 1:30 without food, to account for people going before me and getting out of there to somewhere where I could eat and all that.  I got there an hour early and was LIVID when the manager went before me.  Who did he think he was, cutting a pregnant lady?!  I was furious.  But then it was my turn and I came out of it ok and ran straight to the car where my goldfish crackers were waiting.

Last night I had the opportunity to go do baptisms with the youth.  I was the only young women leader there and I don't know what the other three were doing, but they seriously missed out.  I remember how special it was for me when I was a youth and my leaders were there.  I loved seeing them in white and the peace that was all around us.  And I also loved seeing different varieties of temple dresses.  Which is one big reason why when I was able to choose my own temple dress I thought back to one that one of my leaders had worn and wanted one similar.

We had three girls that were going for their first time and I loved helping them with their simple questions and having one of them say, "That was so cool.  I am definitely coming again."  She had been a little apprehensive about the whole trip just because she likes to know what to expect and what to do next and everything.

To volunteer in the baptismal font they needed three workers, one to guide the girls when to go, another to help them out of the font and hand out a towel and a last to help them with the shower and make sure they have another dry towel and their suits are where they need to be and everything.

This last job.  That is what I have ALWAYS dreamed of doing.  I know.  It's weird.  But true.  I have done baptisms before where that volunteer is missing and it was absolutely miserable.  It's so nice to have someone there to catch your wet suit and wring it out for you and then hand you a dry towel and hold your key for you while you're in the shower so you don't lose it stripping your wet clothes off.  It also gave me the chance to whisper to each girl about what they were feeling as we were in the locker room and not out where the baptisms were being performed.  They are all such sweet hearts.

I went and changed in the locker room upstairs but next time I will definitely just use the same locker room as the girls.  I couldn't hardly find my way anywhere!  When I came down the girls weren't out of the chapel yet where one of the workers was giving a spiritual message.  I had a chance to get to know my area and where the towels were and how to change the mop and all that before they came and that was nice.  I smiled at them all when they entered and ushered them to their seats to wait to get jumpsuits and three of them commented on how beautiful my dress was.  And I secretly hoped that when they all had the chance to be sealed in the temple they would be able to choose their own dress instead of having to wear one of the rented ones.

On our way home we stopped at Dairy Queen and each kid had 3$ they could use to get a treat.  I was able to connect with one of the Laurels over our icecream and that felt really good, just alone.  I had gotten to spend so much precious time with each girl while I helped them at the temple that evening but even if I had not gotten to do any of that and was only able to have that 30 mins with that one particular girl, it would have been a win for the night.  I have tried so hard to connect with each girl.  To spend some amount of quality time learning about each one and this is near to one of the last.  I was nervous that I would never get to because she's a hard egg to reach.  But I did it!  And it was wonderful and Sundays are going to be much better now.  It's just so special to walk into a classroom filled with friends instead of just girls that you are going to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment