I picked C up from visit yesterday and was met with her dad saying, "We'll have a move-in date on the 21st." Now, I know, that does not mean, "We'll have an apartment on the 22nd and can take C on the 27th (first day of spring break)." But it puts my heart at rest that the 'but onlys' are going to be calmed way down in a week. And anxious at the same time because ummm, hello, time just can't move fast enough.
Back when I told DHS in February that C needed a new placement at spring break I was not joking. I also didn't know how much I would need her to have a new placement at spring break. I honestly thought I could possibly go all the way to June - or at the very least - May - since headstart gets out in May. But you know what? No. Spring Break with the possibility of a two week window if dad gets his move-in date as middle of April. But three weeks. No, that's just too long.
I checked in again with them the beginning of March - a quick e-mail to let them know I was still very serious about C having a new placement and if there was any word out there about where she could be going. Which was also about the same time that we found out Dad could possibly have housing. So it's been in limbo since. And because DHS works in crises mode as it is - one emergency to another - it would be silly to expect them to have a home already lined up for C. Which has also made me humbly patient because even if DHS works in crises mode - they seem to follow through with everything, even if it's last minute. So I just need to patiently wait for my hour. It's out there. Just not on the same day of the month as I think it should be on.
And an update on Steven's interview stuff - because let's be honest - I really wanted to be looking for a house and moving to another city around spring break time, too. Well, honestly, back in January, but I will take what I can get. He's had 9 interviews so far. One in Utah, a handful in Oregon and a handful in Washington. Probably more in Washington than in Oregon. Just because that's where the openings are. We aren't picky and the only one I have told him to not apply for was in Idaho. I refuse to go back to Idaho after having done my time of college there. Unless it's Boise. Then I will think hard - but really - I hate Idaho's guts with a passion.
His last one was for Spokane. 6 hours from where we are right now. Which seems like a little too far. That's a full day's drive. With a new baby coming and all the changes that will bring, I really wish we could be closer to family. And I was pretty dead-set against wanting to want Spokane, too. It's pretty far north and seems like it's got a lot of nothing around it and then - bam - there it is in the middle of nowhere. A little like Boise. After looking up some photos and looking at house prices I decided it would be an ok place to land and I may actually be really hoping for this one. We'll find out tomorrow, and I guess if there's no word about it after this post, you'll know it didn't work out.