Thursday, March 27, 2014

March 15

To celebrate bonus checks Les Schwab always hosts a dinner for the employees and their wives.  Last year Steven hadn't been officially working for the St. Helens store but he went to the dinner anyway.  I opted to stay home.

This dinner for this year was my first time seeing everyone at once and it's always interesting to see who the guys are married to.  There were even some guys I didn't recognize at all because there are so many employees at that store.  Made me feel a little foreign and I missed our Centerville crew with their guys and their wives that I knew and always made me feel comfortable.

We went to El Tapatio and used a whole string of tables and half another.  We got there late, something I had forgotten as a huge 'no no' if you want to pick your own seat and not get seated at the table that takes all the left-over people.  I was so nervous that we were the last ones there, too.  Meaning we would be the only ones not at the main table.  Fortunately we weren't and the guy that Steven works the most with and his wife came after us and sat at our table along with one other couple that came late.  I was most definitely out of my comfort zone and watched everyone else.  Thank goodness Shayna (the guy's wife) is super outgoing and has no qualms about what stories to share and started up a rowdy conversation with the other wife and I put-in when I could but mostly stayed quiet.  One of Shayna's best friends from high school is also a wife of one of the guys and she came over and sat at our table to get in on Shayna's stories and share her own.  It was fun to listen to them and they seemed quite content to run the conversation.

I ordered fajitas and they were definitely not as good as the ones that I make.  Not even close.  It was a little bit of a let-down, but not something that I didn't totally expect.  El Tap and I have a hate/neutral relationship.  There is a building in Rainier and we had to go there for an assignment for Spanish once and order in Spanish.  It was humiliating and their food isn't really all that good.  Also, it's 'the place' to go in Rainier, apparently.  A lot of kids from high school would go there for their birthdays and special occasions and I just don't know why.  I guess it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth being so connected to highs school and people from high school.

There was a baptism for some lady at 2 earlier that day.  I had it on the calendar and everything and totally spaced it.  I had no idea who it was, she's never been to all three hours of church and going to gospel essentials for Sunday School makes it easy to meet investigators.  Why do they do that?  Why would someone be baptized without first going to church?  Seems backwards to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment