Tuesday, May 17, 2011

quadruple burger

Last night was kind of an odd one for us. It's not unusual that I have a closing shift at the craft store, but it is unusual that I don't have the car as my own. It was handsome husband's day off yesterday and he felt he needed the car all day. Consequently he had to take me to work at 2 and then pick me up again at 9:30. He really had done a lot and had been busy running errands all day so that when he came to get me we were both pretty hungry.

I have a problem about eating at work. Or maybe it stems from my grocery shopping. Either way, we don't have much 'take with you' kind of foods. We've got breakfast cereal and dinner stuff, but not too much in between. I never have been a very good lunch eater, ask my mom, I was her nightmare in high school. I am sure she had visions of me passing out by way of famish every day after lunch hour. I just have a hard time with lunch foods, with sandwiches in particular. Therefore handsome husband has to put his own hands in the fridge and cupboards and put some high-sensored feelers out for lunch foods to take with him. As for me, I go without. I know, don't give me a lecture, I know all about it. I also know all about skipping breakfast, another one of my traits. So you can save it.

Anyways, back to my story. We were both hungry and Steven was telling me about his day, which was a rather distracting process so we missed our I-15 exit. We quickly took the first exit which led us down-town salt lake. And what do you know? There was a Wendy's. I have been craving their new sea-salt fries that are cut with a little bit of the peel still on them deep-fried golden and soft. I am a sucker for potatoes. As most Nancy Drews would be able to conclude by my past post.

We pull up to the window and it takes a little while to order, 'cause let's face it, I am a McDonalds lover of all things fake. Especially the meat that reminds me of the cardboard play stuff I used to have a kid. I know. Don't judge. I don't frequent any other fast-food joint as much as I frequent McDonalds, and even there I always get the same thing. So put in a new environment, expected to just 'order' is quite the decision for me. 'Cause let's face it, not all hamburgers are created equal.

The new guy at the drive-through window saw his chance to do a great selling technique on us when we asked what was on the 'regular hamburger.' He proceeded to tell us not only what was on the regular hamburger, but the double, the triple, and everything with cheese in between. Under my breath I asked if they had a quadruple burger that perhaps he was missing. 'Cause seriously, at the end of a 5 minute list, you don't expect it to stop at triple. By this time you're into the rhythm of it all and want it to keep going to an octuple burger. (that's probably not the right word. Math was never my strong subject) That's all handsome husband heard in that 'under my breath question' and proceeded to order me a quadruple burger. I thought it was for him, until he asked what else I wanted. I was horror stricken. What was I going to do with 4 beef patties and a truckload of garden on top? If this were McDonalds it would be no catastrophe. Their thinner-than-the-eye-can-see and thinner-than-the-tongue-can-taste patties would stack up as 4 no problem to create one regular patty and the garden on top would be small. But Wendy's. No. They cut no corners. Literally.

This was a problem. I had to act fast. We changed our order, but like I said, the drive-through guy was new and never could get that luminous quadruple burger erased from the screen. We had to re-order our order at the paying window when he had someone there to show him how to erase and add and all that. It was a learning experience for us all.

And, may I add, that I still love McDonalds. That double patty was too big for me and I only ate half and all the 'extra stuff' on it was distracting. My all-time favorite will forever be a McDonalds regular hamburger with extra ketchup. I love the diced up onions and the added tang of a little mustard with a couple of pickles thrown on. That there is a good hamburger, nothing distracting about it. Unless it's the wrong season for pickles and the edges are a little chewy. They should really consider slicing their pickes with stripes.

No comments:

Post a Comment