Thursday, May 5, 2011

People and their bread

Our landlady is what I would consider to be my newest grandma. She is the sweetest, most ancient, thing I have ever talked to. She was raised in Layton when Hillfield and Antelope (busy roads now with a mall on one and a huge shopping center on the other) were dirt roads and she would watch the cows eat grass along the side of the road while making doll furniture out of sticks and burs. She has lived an adventurous life filled with a lot of character building experiences and she was telling me all about how Farmington used to be. How everyone knew everyone and all their business and was always looking for a way to help out. Sounds like an old movie, right?

Well, what makes her such a sweet heart is that she was raised when there was a regular school bus that left at 3 and another activity bus that left school at 4:30, but that she is so up-to-date on what all is going on around her and while she remembers the good ole days, she's not stuck in them. They're just memories, not something that society should go back to.

I dropped our rent money off after ringing the bell and walking around to the back to leave it under the mat and was turning the key in the car to leave when she opens the door and waves out to me. I always love talking to her, so I was glad that she was home after all. I jumped out of the car and she ushered me in. Her pajamas were strewn around the living room and it reminded me of what I will be like when I am old. If no one is coming over, why be careful about where you get dressed at? She laughed and apologized as she gathered everything up. She had been snoozing in her chair when she heard the doorbell rang and remembered that she had to go to the bathroom. She couldn't very well answer the door doing the potty dance so she used the washroom and caught me just as I was pulling out. This is just the kind of lady she is. So funny.

As I talk to her, the more I realize that our life reaches a peak in the mid 30's early 40's and then we start going back downhill and all the things that we thought we had left behind start coming around again. For instance, today it was dating. I thought I would go on my last date with another guy the day I was engaged to Steven, but I realize, this may not be the case. She was telling me about how a lot of the men she had known in high school or had met some other time in her life were losing their wives. Her first husband has been gone for 10 or so years, and then she remarried just for company's sake. He is also gone at this point, so she's back on the dating market. She was telling me how there's one guy who keeps asking her out and keeps dropping hints about getting married and she just tells him that he needs to find someone else to take care of him 'cause she can only take care of herself. If he ate what she did than he would starve to death and the added fact that if they got married he would pass away within the next five years 'cause she has a running list of putting men in the grave. She said it, not me.

After laughing until tears came out of my eyes we started talking about the new grocery store they have just put in and about the great deals they have and how those deal would compare to the previous existing grocery store etc. etc. She started telling me about this bread that has white chocolate chips baked into it and is ever so good. She kept on raving about it and so I decided to give it a try. After two and a half hours of talking I gave her a hug goodbye and went to get myself some bread. And yes. It is that good. When I got there I bought the last loaf and the bread man said that the bread usually doesn't make it past 12 o'clock before it's sold out. Lucky me. I also bought some strawberries for 98 cents. Sweet deal, even if they're Californian strawberries and don't taste nearly as good as they look.

While I was getting bread the man behind me in line was raving about how good the rolls were. And when I say raving, I mean that he asked the bread man to cut me up a roll so that I could sample it he was so sure that I would love it and buy a million rolls of my own. Must be the bread. People love their bread. Here I was, being advised to buy custom bread twice in one day! The funniest part about this is that when the guy left and the bread man and I were talking about breads he asked if I knew the roll sponsor guy and I had to admit I had no idea who he was. We both laughed, 'cause he was so personable both of us were sure that he knew the other. People and their bread. Too funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment