Monday, February 24, 2014

February 17th

Alaska's music class in Vancouver.  We went shopping at the Vancouver mall afterwards and didn't get home until 2.  I got a few maternity shirts and have already found that I need more.  I almost have one for each day of the week but I need to get some undershirts from DownEast in order to make them modest.  Right now I have one and it is doing quadruple duty because I wear it every day.  Why they make maternity shirts with such low necks, I will never know.  Even if my boobs have tripled in size, that means all the more reason why I want them covered up.  Not exposed to all the world.  That just looks trashy.  Doesn't matter who is't on.  Cleavage is complete white-trash.  But after you've got your maternity pants coming up above your belly button and always sliding down the last thing you want to do is add more layers.  But it's what has to be done.  Even when I go to work out, I wear an extra-long tank to add length to my t-shirts.  Pregnancy and layering.  It's how it's done.

I dropped dinner off at Jamie and Stephanie's - well, more like I was suppose to do visiting teaching, and so we thought we could double that with dinner.  So I got there with my dessert and my salad, waited 15 minutes for my partner to show up, and then when she did, she had to go really quick because her tire was leaking air and she wanted to get it to the shop before she had to put the spare on.  Went up to Steven's house afterwards and had a family meeting with his family.  Things had just been building up and building up since we moved here and I was sick of it.  I felt stronger after counseling, but it can really only do so much for your relationships without you, yourself, doing something for your relationships.  So we had a counsel meeting, I brought a list of concerning items and we all sat down and talked.  It was hard, but not as hard as I had thought it would be.  Thank goodness it's over and I feel like we can move on.  The hardest parts of moving back closer to family are behind us and maybe now we can actually snuggle in and get comfy here.  Except for the fact that I am already feeling the itch to move on.  Should have been an army wife.

Not that I really want to move, but that I want Steven to get on with his life and get his promotion to a new store right away.  If we're going to make this family growing thing work, we're going to need more money to do it with.  Our apartment feels fine right now, with three of us, but it won't take much for it to be a little cramped.  I know we can do one more child, but I don't know if we can do one more child plus all the stuff that comes with another child.  Like another dresser and another bed and thank goodness we didn't fall into the trap of thinking we needed a changing table.  I like my personal space and I like other people have their personal space and it makes me feel bad to think about cutting Alaska's personal space down or this baby's personal space down for their 'stuff'.  And we're not in the position to be able to afford higher rent for a three bedroom apartment.  Not in the slightest.  That's another $300 added to our already $720.

I am taking a substitute orientation in a couple of weeks and hopefully that will help us land a little bit more moola that we can put into savings.  Or at least work as our 'extras'.  Right now we've been having Steven's pay check be responsible for rent, food and bills.  And that's about all it can do.  When I earn money I put it towards 'family and household' - the nice things that make life worth living.  Clothes for Alaska and me and Steven, any kind of art/house decor, cleaning supplies, whatever it is that we need to make this house a home and put some clothes on us.  Which just dramatically jumped due to needing maternity clothes and Alaska is now in 3T and it's time to start shopping the stores for summer/spring things before they're all sold out.  Like what happened in the fall.  I didn't know you could only get long-sleeved shirts for a few precious months and then we were trapped in what I did get because I couldn't find them anywhere else.  And also, I have noticed Target and Old Navy especially have good sales at the beginning of seasons introducing their new lines and by the time the prices are reduced at clearance time they are no longer what we need in the size and all that.

Also, perhaps I am just picky, but I have a hard time finding cute clothes for Alaska a lot of the time.  I have not had luck yet at a thrift store and only twice have found things at a children't resale store that have been decent enough to buy.  It seems as though baby clothes are used good and hard and by the time they get to a thrift store they are pretty beat up and not in the colors/patterns I would choose otherwise.


No comments:

Post a Comment