Thursday, April 21, 2016

And so I Became a Legend

EEEEEEeeeeeeeeee! In another world where not everything I do revolves around a couple 4 year-olds, I was called as the 4th year camp leader/mom/counselor. I was pretty sketchy about this because a) I don't do camp and b) it turns out being in charge of the 4th year girls at a stake level makes you also in charge of their 'high adventure' activity for the summer, as well. And I don't do hikes. 

Thank the stars camp is only two days and one night long. And also - our high adventure activity doesn't need to be two days, it can be one. There is trek this year, which takes the place of scout camp and girls camp. And on which Steven and I didn't get called to be a ma and pa and I am totally relieved about that. 

But, the exciting news is this: For our 4th year adventure trip we are doing white-water rafting down the Deschuttes! Who is freaking awesome?!?! This is going to be the most epic adventure ever! I could not swallow doing a hike and camping out and canoeing just sounded a little meh - but the rafting, that is something I can get behind. And enthusiasm is 75% of the battle, yeah?

I have someone I am supposed to be working with, but my enthusiasm is definitely outweighing hers here and I don't even care. I have enough enthusiasm I could do this all by myself if I needed to. And that is saying a lot about the girl who is over-run by pre-schoolers and doesn't have much energy for anything else. This is something I love and I love that I get to share it with some very special girls! 4 of the 11 girls are girls that I have been with in yw since they were 12. That's right. 11 girls are signed up for camp right now as 4th years. That is it. It will be so much fun!

Our parameters are we need a nurse and a life-guard. Steve is happy to become re-certified in lifeguarding and I would rather not. It makes me so nervous and at the end there I hated getting wet anyways. A lifeguard who hates the water. Is there such a thing? I was it. When I was head lifeguard for a semester at BYU-I all of my inservice hours were planned around a video and a quiz. I hated having to get in the water to practice spinal holds and panic drowning. And I really hesitate about going to the bottom of the pool to get a brick to pass the submersion test. It hurts my head every time. So I am peacing out on that one, but when I invited Steven, that he could go if he got his lifeguarding certification, he decided it was a small price to pay. 

Because people always get so nervous around water and it can be such a sketchy subject, I threw in the extra parameters that everyone who went needed to pass a swim test and needed to pass a quiz about river safety. I think it will be educational and fun for all and I am so super stoked for it. It is going to be the best ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment