Thursday, September 1, 2011

High School Drama

I don't care who you are. Everyone enjoys a little high school drama once in awhile. That being said, as long as high school is far away in the past and you can laugh at the dumb things that were SUCH a BIG DEAL back in the day.

After seeing the movie trailer 'Prom' once I was hooked. I had to see that movie. As much as I hated high school and am glad it's far behind me, I still like the idea of high school. It's kind a fairy tale place that is in real life where I can imagine amazing things happening. Things like going to tail gate parties and watching every football game, even the away ones, dressed in school colors with glitter cascading on to by-standers as you bounce with your besties from one side of the bleachers to the other. Things that obviously I never did, hence I hated high school with a passion and came home crying at least once a week one year hating it so much. My parents patiently listened to me and my dad wiped my tears as I spilled drama after drama into their caring ears. Oh what a confusing time.

But this, this prom movie... it was a must-see. Especially since I have a self-interest in dances, and most importantly, the primping that goes into dances even before they start. That is always the best part, no matter what hott date is going to show up at your door later that night and wait for you for 30 minutes while you gaze and re-gaze at yourself, making sure everything is just right, but never really changing anything. Just reassuring yourself that yes, this is a picture-worthy momentous occasion, and yes, you do look strikingly gorgeous.

I had this wild idea when the movie first came out around prom season that Steven and I would hook ourselves up as a high school couple and maybe take a stroll through DI while picking up some ridiculous prom cast-offs and then go to the theaters in our 80's prom get-up and out to dinner, taking some awesome pictures along the way. We would take so many awesome pictures that we would frame some of them and hang them in our bedroom, just for kicks.

Well, DIs seemed to be fresh out of 80's dresses with the big poofy sleeves and obnoxious bows either in the front or on the back or all over, ruffling with taffeta. So that dream never came to pass, which meant that I never got to see this movie until last night we were scrolling through the redbox movies and came across it.

After much complaining we came home with it and popped it in the computer. And OH MY GOODNESS. High school drama drama drama. Each couple had a different story and it was kind of crazy how I could relate to each of them different as they were, they were definitely all a stereotype and it was just too funny. And the funniest part, Steven couldn't get enough of it! Every time I adjusted and made a little too much noise the movie was paused, waiting for the rustling to not be so loud so that we could get in on the drama going on at the time.

I cannot wait until we have kids in high school. It is going to be so much fun! I remember when we were dating and my roommates would come in with boy problems and because Steven was always over at our apartment he was more like a brother to a few of them and he would give advice and remind them, 'no playing games. games are not for dating.' He was my favorite from the start. He's always so patient with problems and even though he doesn't always know exactly what to say, he always made everyone feel better.

1 comment:

  1. How funny. We rented it from Redbox yesterday too after my consistent insisting! And drama, drama, drama is right....

    ReplyDelete