Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Overcast Days

After living in the land of sunshine for so long, it is supremely nice to come back to the place where there are overcast days in the middle of July to break up the long summer days.  There is something refreshing about sleeping in an extra hour because the morning sunlight that loves to tickle eyelids has somewhere else to be.

Even more refreshing is opening the blinds to behold dry sidewalks, dry cars and soon-to-be dry grass, all shaded with deep blues and grays, holding promises of an adventure.  Uninterrupted by a blinding sun that would otherwise promise sweltering temperatures that would only be calmed by toes dipped in the Columbia River.  The quietness of a Saturday morning spread out before my eyes and whispered in my ears as I took the garbage out.  The first to leave footprints in the dew-covered grass.

The cooling temperatures gave me the extra nudge I've been needing to get Alaska and I up and ready to leave the house at 10 to the Scappoose Farmers' market.  Not very big and not too many people wandering around.  Apparently the clouds that gave me my energy kept others at home.  There were beautiful flowers for $5 put together by a little asian lady who used one hand to hold the stems and another to push flowers into the bouquet and when I took them from her I had to use both hands just to hold it upright.  A booth called "Dirt Candy" that sold lots of vegetables and leafy greens.  People from church who called out my name and we shared a story and a smile.  Little old ladies who smiled at Alaska and called her sweetie as she looked out at them from her stroller.

The clouds burned off by noon, followed by the need for a change of clothes for both Alaska and I.  Jeans were traded for shorts and hairs were pulled into ponytails and though the sun shared blue skies I still remembered the morning clouds with a smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment