Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Messes Make my Heart Thump Fast

I know it's been forever and a day.  A long time.  This move has left my head spinning, and it's still spinning.  This move has been the most stressful thing to happen to me in a long time.  I've had a hard time getting a routine going.  A hard time adjusting if said routine was thrown off, if even by a planned event.  I clung to plans like a child clings to their safety blanket with pink bunnies printed on the fabric.  I worked really hard at 'showing up'.  Hard.  And I worked hard at seeing things through other people's eyes, when really, I should have been using my own eyes and stating what I needed.

What I needed was space.  And space is hard to come by when you're living with in-laws and parents.  I felt like a bird, being held too tight.  My wings were cramped and it was all I could do not to burst and fly the coop.

Slowly I have regained the independence I once had.  A little each day, each hour I have alone at the house with Alaska.  I prefer it that way.  Me cleaning, her playing, and as I have started to feel better about life I notice myself reaching out to others.  Brighter smiles because I want to, not because it's polite.  Inviting people over for lunch because I want to, not because I need a friend.

It's been really hard and sometimes the hardness still catches me off-guard.  Just when I think things are ok, something happens and I have to focus hard to make everything go in the right direction instead of flying every which way.  It's still hard for me to make plans.  I want every day at home, in my own home, and I want control over that.  It's been almost 6 months.  When will that go away?  If I make plans to do some errands or take Alaska to the park I almost always chicken out and prefer to stay at home and clean the bathroom or mop one more time.  I think, in all honesty, it's a sickness.

Our house is nearly always spotless and I know that's something that has got to stop.  I get a hard thump in my heart if something is dirty.  I need a new hobby, bad.  I've printed all my pictures off.  All of them.  They came in a huge box while I was gone on vacation.  I am still trying to get the courage to unbox them and sort, because I know it will make a mess.  Who thinks that of something they used to love?  I would rather have a clean house that scrap some photos?  Something is definitely wrong.  And it's not even that sorting will make a mess, the mess doesn't come until you start scrapping them all and there's pieces of paper and pictures all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment