Friday, August 17, 2012

I Don't Want to be THAT Momma

I am having a little bit of a hard time right now.  We've been to Oregon, family from Oregon has been here, and we've been back to Oregon all this summer.  School is going to start and the trips back and forth are going to slow down until the holidays.  Which means I am going to be low on adventures to tell people.  Which then causes me to talk about the thing I know the most about, Alaska.  The baby girl, not the state.  

And believe me when I say, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, more boring than hearing someone talk about their kids.  Unless their kids do really embarrassing stuff.  Then I don't mind at all because a good story is a good story, despite the main characters.  But I don't want to be that momma.  I want to have my own things to talk about.  After all, I wasn't always a momma and just because I can wipe spit-up on my own jeans off Alaska's mouth with my bare hand does not mean that my world needs to totally revolve around her.

I am on a quest.  A quest to continue to be my own person.  Let's relay the pitfalls first, though.  'Cause after that, anything is possible.  One) Handsome Husband doesn't have the same day off every week.  Two) Handsome Husband never has Saturdays off.  Three) Handsome Husband cannot be relied on to come home at the same time every day, let alone before 7 pm.  Four) I have a baby.  Five) I don't want to leave her with someone to watch because One) She's almost getting into everything.  Two) I have no money to pay someone to watch her.  Three) How much and what do you pay a babysitter anyways?

So... now that you know the problems and I have them typed out for myself... let the brain storming begin.  Ummm... zumba would be really fun.  Or water aerobics.  Or taking a painting class or a cake decorating class.  Dance.  Reading to kids in the elementary school.  Volunteering at a pet shelter.  Going to city council meetings.  

We have a solution.  Number one: Tell Steven to beg for the same day off a week.  Number two. Find one of those things to do that is on a week evening.

And because I am just that awesome and I would love to have two things to talk about with people... Number one: Offer to trade babysitting hours with someone in the ward.  Number two: Find one of those things to do that is on a week day.

1 comment:

  1. Read. Read the newspaper. Read Newsweek. Read interesting magazines. Read the Ensign. Read good books. Read and share. Start a book club!

    ReplyDelete