Friday, November 11, 2011

Whale Watching

I've decided that having a baby move inside of you is a lot like whale watching. I've never been, but I can imagine it goes something like this: Look, there's one! No, now it's gone. Ok, well keep watching that spot over there. 10 minutes later: Did you see that?! Was that a wave or a whale? 20 minutes later: Over there, look over there!

I feel her move all the time. Her soft bubble kicks have turned into rolls of movement. At one point I could directly relate to when people say their stomach is turning somersaults. It's the weirdest feeling ever to feel something rub against the inside of you in a circle and have no control over it.

For all the moving she does, Steven has only been able to feel her a couple of times because, just like in whale watching, she's still as soon as his hand gets on my belly where she was moving seconds ago and then she's moving somewhere else with a few minutes in between, making it hard to capture.

When people ask how much time I have left and the answer is two months their next exclamation is how small I am. I know it's meant as a compliment, but it just makes me think sometimes, what if something is wrong? You know, like all parents do. What if she's not growing enough, what if I am not retaining enough water and so on. I try not to let it get to me because I am sure everything is just fine. I've been feeling fine and I would rather not worry about size so much. Seems like America is obsessed with the size of things, anyways. Size of thighs, stomachs, bodies in general... it's nice to not have to think too much about it and just eat healthy for the sake of eating healthy and not worry about what it's doing to my body.

Although, I must admit, when your clothes are meant to expand with your growing body it's hard to control how much that body is growing. The doctor commented at my last appointment that I had jumped more than expected in my weight... again. Well, when you don't have clothes that shrink if your stomach becomes anything less than flat and jeans that allow love handles to form to remind you it's time to hop into some running shoes and hit the trails, it's hard to keep track of how much weight you're gaining. Just sayin'. Once this baby is out of me, believe you me, I will be jogging to my heart's content. I am going to need some way to get out of the house. My other exercise plan is to take her in the car seat during her nap time and use the gym. It's a pretty relaxed place and I am pretty sure no one would mind her napping next to the front desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment