Tuesday, December 24, 2013

One of Those Awesomely Horrible Days

It's been one of those awesome days.  The kind where Alaska Paska was the biggest punky in all the world, short of the kid who throws a tantrum complete with kicking and screaming.  We obviously haven't been working on our shopping etiquette very much since moving back to Oregon where it takes 40 minutes to get anywhere note-worthy.   Note to self, we need to work on this so that she can shop beside me before this baby comes.

A lady at Walgreens today asked me if I got my boots locally.  Her granddaughter would love a pair.  "No, I got them at Macey's."  The man next to us chuckled and says, "You'd have to shop pretty hard to find something local around here."  Meaning, if you don't like what WalMart of FredMeyer has to offer, you've got a little bit of a drive to look forward to.

I knew Barnes and Noble would be the hardest store to take her in, especially since I left the mini-stroller at the house.  That meant it would be her and her two hands up and over everything.  It had to be our first stop.  Before she became The Punky that we all know and love.  I needed my Alaska Paska.

It didn't go well.  We did get out with only one time-out and one run-away moment and one 'crying 'cause you're holding my hand' moment.  Pretty good that the numbers didn't rack up higher than that.  But I was a haggard mess by the time we left.  I didn't feel well enough to be stretched to any kind of limits and had definitely over layered in layers that were impossible to take off without losing my dignity.  Like a jacket covering my ugly sweater and a scarf to bustle out the front so that the high neck of my ugly sweater couldn't be seen, as well.

We stopped at two more stores, both with carts that she refused to stay buckled within and though I had a list a mile long, I was done.  You couldn't pay me to take her grocery shopping.

Got home just in time for a nap and I puked into the toilet.  We had to have a white elephant gift and a favorite Christmas treat to share for our party that night.  I dropped Alaska off at her Grandma's and pretended to know what I needed.  I fell back on chocolate for our white elephant gift, you can never go wrong with candy.  I wasn't entirely sure of our group, whether gag gifts were going to be ok and all that.  Always tricky playing with different groups of people.

Too sick to make a treat to share, thought I could take spinach dip.  Found it and looked around for some pre-sliced bread.  I didn't even feel well enough to cut bread!  Couldn't find the bread and instead I bought a plate of 7-layer dip that looked like it had been sitting around for a couple of days and a bag of chips.  No shame.  I took it and it was eaten.

The party was a success and it was fun.  Gag gifts were definitely invited, although you gotta have the good gifts to make the gag gifts even more horrendous.  The worst, a knit your own bikini kit.  It was hillarious and hideous.  Most likely will be making a return next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment