Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Mysterious Veggie Plate

It baffles me.  You think you know.  And then you don't.  Like so much of life.  Too much of life.

I have decided my signature "I'll bring the..." will forever be veggie plates complete with ranch dressing made from greek yogurt.  It's a crowd pleaser and something I feel comfortable bringing as more and more people are coming out as gluten free and less carbs and more healthy stuff, please!  The people-pleaser in me, I suppose.

Rummaging through thrift-stores is an all-time favorite hobby and I picked up a most excellent crystal vegetable tray.  A little more rummaging produced a little bowl for dip that more often than not is being used for cereal when all of our bowls are dirty.  Even now, I use my pampered prep bowl for dressing because it has a lid that fits snug and guarantees no surprise ranch-messes in the trunk upon arriving.  No one seems to mind the the center of my vegetable trays holds tomatoes or olives more often than dressing.

It's not super often that I get to pull the crystal platter from its home among the other things we don't use a lot, but you gotta have, like pitchers and trifle dish.  But when I do, it gets a good use.  This past week I used it twice, and you know what?  I am so confused!

I took it to my parent's house for thanksgiving loaded up on all colors of the rainbow.  The only thing eaten?  The celery.  Thanksgiving dinner was delicious and there wasn't much room for something that probably should have been served as an appetizer instead of the spinach dip and bread.  But the celery got munched on as people's plates winded down and needed just a touch more.

Took the exact same plate to a Young Women event, and what do you know?  The only vegetable left was the celery!  Everything else was dipped and eaten.  It is so weird to me.  Had I known, I would have had less celery and more of something else.  But I didn't know there would be such a difference in opinion over a vegetable plate.  Proves that vegetables are not all equals.  I did find it interesting, though, that as I gathered up vegetables that are often found on veggie plates, there were more vegetables than I remember as a kid.  Which must mean that I am becoming more aware of what's out there and how to jazz up your ordinary plate.  We don't use cauliflower as a filler around here, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment