Monday, September 30, 2013

It's Raining, It's Pouring

The past two days have been nothing but rain.  You think I kid.  I do not.  I have been watching for a break so that perhaps I could start a 60 min. walk dry, even if I couldn't finish it dry.  No such luck.  True Oregon rain all through the morning, the afternoon, and on through the evening.  I had forgotten.  Spoiled by Utah autumns where the leaves crunch beneath your feet the whole season long.  Where your never have to worry about your riding boots having wet toes and never think to yourself, maybe I should trade these riding boots in for some rain boots so that I can go grocery shopping.

This morning, as soon as were up, it wasn't raining and I bundled Alaska into her coats and socks and shoes with a blankie.  We set out at a jog and slowed to a walk as I got a pain in my side.  The sun was hiding behind a couple of soggy clouds, but it was dry.  And my dry, I mean there was no rain falling from the sky.  There were definitely enough puddles to keep the most ruthless of puddle-jumpers happy for five hours.  The long grasses of summer were beaten down, having succumbed to the constant pressure on their long stems.  Trees jangled and tipped a leaf's amount of water onto Alaska and I as we passed under their branches.  Leaves scattered parking lots and tripped on the sidewalk.  The rain had pulled them down to earth where they would find their mortal fate.

We were 15 minutes from the house when the rain started up again and I began a slow jog, pulling the umbrella over Alaska's torso.  We had been in worse, that's for sure.  Just the week before we had slipped into the store real quick on our way home from a walk to pick up a few items and we came out to a full on rain storm.  There was congestion at the sliding doors as everyone who had just checked out came to a halt at the sight of the rain that was not there when we all went in.  It was a mess as they put on jackets, pulled up hoods and located their car from the covered entry, calculating the most direct cut.

And there was me and Alaska.  I take the stroller into the store with me when we're coming back from a walk because it's less transitioning and my stroller has way better steerage than any cart I have pushed, which means we're in and out faster as I glide past carts blocking isles as they search for the perfect cake mix.  I was wearing my t-shirt and shorts, 'cause it has been a nice day, and she was in jeans and long sleeves.  We took a deep breath and in we went, jogging hard.  10 minutes to the front door and we had to cross the highway that always has the longest lights.  Biggest blessing, I pushed the button for the light to cross, and it lit up, allowing us to barely pause at a light that we usually spend 3 minutes at.

The high school was out for lunch and the teachers were standing at the cross-walk, in their slacks and leather shoes, to deter the underclassmen.  Sharing jokes under umbrellas I knew I wasn't going to pass them without a comment.  "Well!  What are you doing out here in the rain?"  me, "We got caught"  them, "Sure did.  You're doing great."  Not as painful as I had thought it may have been.  I gave a little wave and we were almost home.

I don't mind being caught in the rain as much as the idea is uncomfortable.  It's just a hassle to get a shower with all your clothes on, and running shoes.  I think it's time I start doing early-morning water-aerobics again.  My first friends in St. Helens were the little, crinkly ladies who show up at the pool at 5:45 am each morning for their exercise and I haven't seen them since summer started.  It was easier for me to go on a walk then to get to the pool at 5:30 in the morning.  I do believe the reverse has come this past week.

Pour on, rain.  I've got a swim suit.


No comments:

Post a Comment