Friday, September 27, 2013

Coast into September

We still talk about it.  That one day.  That super hot day.  The day of all summer days.  And it wasn't even summer.  School had already started the week before.

It was a Wednesday and I had decided the previous Sunday that Alaska and I would be at the coast on Wednesday.  I had it all figured out.  We would need to leave in the morning in order to beat the heat since our little car has no a/c and then come home in the evening with just enough time to shower off summer sand before going to mutual at seven.  It was 9:30 when we pulled out of our apartment complex and I turned up the country, settling in for a long drive.

We made a few stops, one in Rainier to pick up some sand toys, which they didn't have any of, so I got a couple of metal spoons to dig in the sand with and as an after-thought a package of fruit snacks.  We had crackers and applesauce and waters and juices.  We were going to be ok.

Stopped at a used furniture store on our way through Astoria.  I am always on the hunt for a china cabinet that will fit into our over-sized bathroom to store towels and miscellaneous bathroom items.  And I found one.  For $250.  Much out of my price range.  Especially since it would need a nice coat of paint to update itself.  Passed it by and we headed onto Seaside.

Usually we stop at Del Ray as our beach of choice because it is less crowded than Seaside.  Today, though, I wanted to be around some people.  And have a back-up plan of the seaside aquarium if Alaska got tired of the ocean before it was time to go.  I shouldn't have worried.

We took our time parking, taking the luxury to find just the right spot.  I loaded up our jogging stroller and thought to myself, "Next time, we'll have to bring a wagon"  First we'll have to get a wagon.  I watched two mommas carry umbrella strollers down the steps that lead to the sand and may have smiled to myself when they pushed to go forward and their itty bitty stroller wheels dug into the sand, not turning at all.  Their surprised faces were priceless and then they giggled nervously to themselves.  I could see their minds turning, "How are we going to get closer to the water?  I have a baby, a bag, and a stroller to now carry.  Ooof. 

There was no way I was taking my stroller down those steps, there had to be a way around.  And there was.  Which led straight to a couple of swings.  Alaska swung to her heart's content, always asking 'more' in sign each time the swing went slower than a push from an under-doggie.  That girl loves a good thrill.  We stopped by the bathrooms real quick and then made our way down to the water.  

Spreading out our blanket on the sand, I changed Alaska into her swim suit.  We took pictures and ran out in the waves.  That girl loves the water and we spent two hours galloping in the waves before coming out for snacks.  There were lots of grandmas and grandpas out walking their dogs, and Alaska noticed every single one of them.  While we were eating goldfish crackers Alaska couldn't help but notice and be amazed at how close the ducks (read: seagulls) got to our blanket.  She chased them around and  enjoyed her time drying off.  We had one more hour in the water before the wind picked up and I called it quits.  We changed and made our way back to the car after stopping by the swings again.  Having a swing open to use on both the way to the water and on the way back from the water goes to show how many people were not at the beach.  It was so nice to have it to ourselves.

We stopped in Gearhart to look through a home junk store and had dinner right next door at the burger place that sold malts and had battered fries.  It was delicious.  Alaska slept the rest of the way home and we got back just in time to take baths and get over to the church to help lay out bark chips.  It was so refreshing to come from the coast where we had been cool all day and be outside in the left-over heat of the day.  It was perfect.  And I am so glad that I got to spend it with my punk-a-bunk.  She is so absolutely my favorite to hang out with.  I want to keep hold of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment