Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Starting early

I haven't been feeling up to par lately, and that's putting is mildly, so I shouldn't have been surprised as to what I found in our garden today after neglecting it for a week at a time. It's been raining kind of regularly around here so thank goodness I haven't had to stress about watering the plants out there, but about once a week there will be a dry spell and I remember that they can't turn the hose on by their own and I go out there to pour water on their thirsty stems.

The ants have gotten the sunflowers and are moving on. Yes. My 8 inch plants of last week have been reduced to 4 inch pieces of pipe cleaner. No leaves to speak of and hardly a stem. I could have cried. All of my watching and worrying and bam, my hopes and dreams are eaten alive. Luckily it's only the sunflowers at this point, but unfortunately the sunflowers are what were thriving on the dry climate I was reducing my garden to.

Looking at other people's gardens, they're just getting out to enjoy the weather and putting in some starter plants, so we may have to start from scratch and bag the whole thing as a learning experience, but not be completely behind everyone else. It was nice and all to watch everything grow from seeds, but I am afraid that I grew too attached to their little green spokes and then the novelty wore off by the time it was time to transplant. Bummer deal for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment