Thursday, June 9, 2011

Life is boring?

I do what I can, but Handsome Husband thinks our lives are boring. Or, at least, not as exciting as what they seem when I write. I would have to call that a lie. And remind him that it's a talent to take 30 seconds and make it a novela. I think our lives could use a few more vacations and a few more late nights running around the city, but when you're married and responsible and all that your creativity for doing crazy things like stealing road signs is limited. Mostly because your frontal cortex is developed enough to see the consequences of what may happen, and even consequences of those consequences. What a blessing, right?

So you gotta take the moments you can. The boring ones. And you gotta make them exciting. You gotta make them something worth talking about or else you're going to be one boring person to talk to. I remember in high school I was dating a great guy, unfortunately we only got to talk on the phone on weekends and we only saw each other twice a month. I made sure that I always had a story to tell him, and what do you know, when you're looking for stories, they just appear out of nowhere. Like the time I rode my bike home from picking strawberries. Boring? No. Definitely not if you're looking for a story.

Our lives are made out of stories. If we relied on life-changing events to make our days out of I am afraid many of us would not exist. It's this simple truth that keeps me writing. There's always something going on. But being able to pin-point what it is, that is the hard part. It takes some practice, but is definitely worth it, because then, when asked what you did during the weekend or the holiday you have a great answer. And people think you are intriguing and want to be your friend, and everyone wants friends.

So if your life is boring (at this point please imagine me on a soap box, painted light blue with the white lettering of 'soap' sprawled across in some fancy, Victorian writing.) than start piecing out your stories. Think of one event that happens to you a day that most people probably didn't have the fantastic opportunity of experiencing. Figure out why it was memorable and then tell someone else so that they will be sure not to forget, as well. And bam, you start living and life isn't so boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment