Monday, May 9, 2016

A lot of Good

There have been some precious things as of late that I need to get down before I forget them:

We had dinner at Fultano's in Scappoose for Irene's (Steven's grandma) birthday. It was laundry day, but no laundry had gotten done because I was substituting. They had to wear dresses. They were super adorable and full of the heightened energy that comes with getting dressed up to go out.

I have some paper dolls that they only get to play with when we go out to eat and it kept them busy and quiet. I wasn't sure what to expect from them, but whatever it was, they exceeded it. C flew into Grandma Barnes' arms with a huge hug and a happy birthday wish. It was close to overwhelming but she pulled herself back and was pleasant. After dinner she was especially cuddly and wanted to sit quietly in my lap. It was enjoyable and I soaked her in.

Alaska has evolved into the big sister. She is absolutely responsible and does her best to keep everyone in line. She's not bossy about it, just matter-of-fact. She also knows when something is too big for her to handle and will come get me. Like when Talmage has something he shouldn't have, she has learned quickly to not rip it out of his hands, but to come get me to do the dirty work, lol.

For mother's day my mom taught the girls how to say, "Happy Mother's Day, you are the best!" C has been telling me this phrase all day because she knows how happy it makes me. She'll especially say it when she is happy about something I have done. When I found her shoes for church, after I came down from the stage from speaking during sacrament meeting, and when she was eating an ice-cream cone. The little goof inside of her also made her realize that she could change the word 'mother' for anyone that she wanted to make smile. She told Steven, "Happy Dad's day, you are the best!" And Alaska, "Happy kids' day, you are the best!" That girl. Sometimes she can really pull it out.

We went to a birthday party this weekend. Upon arrival Alaska stayed close to me, checking out the scene before running off. She is so careful, that girl. I don't think she's shy, because she always happy to play, but she does need some space to check things out before she gets too involved in what's going on.

C was all over the place, naturally, but her friendliness really shined. She said hi to everyone. There was one kid there that was from the neighborhood rather than from church, like most everyone else, and she was not even shy about saying hi to him.

While we were there, C brought me a cup of juice that she had poured herself. I hadn't asked for it or anything - just out of the blue - Here Jessica. It was pretty sweet, even though I am pretty sure she wanted to be so grown up and pour some juice even though she didn't want any. But whatever, it was sweet that she thought of me.

At dance class a few weeks ago the teacher commented on how well Alaska was doing. How she clearly had a desire to do everything just right. I only nodded and said, "Oh good" - not realizing the momentous comment that way. The next week I saw clearly what her teacher was talking about. They were doing 'cartwheels' on a mat. The mat had handprints and footprints for where you put your own hands and feet. A lot of the girls put their hands on the match, kicked their feet up and over and wherever their feet landed, they landed. Alaska matched her hands up, careful to have them exact, and then when she kicked her feet up and they landed outside of the footprint line, she moved them to where they were supposed to go before getting up to let the next girl go. I am so glad that she already understands the idea of doing a complete and thorough job. I hope it follows her through.

And you ask, what about Talmage? What is he doing? Being awesome. He is just being awesome. He is really excellent at taking directions and doing as I ask, even if he doesn't want to. Not any words yet, but he understands everything.




No comments:

Post a Comment