Saturday, May 26, 2012

Forgot How Much I Missed It

I took on a 5th grade subbing job this past week and LOVED it.  Don't get me wrong, I had the jitters and butterflies getting ready for the day, but all for naught.  I straightened my hair, pulled on a cute top and did my best to look put together with some jewelry.  This stay-at-home momma can still rock a little class.  5th graders can go two ways.  They can be absolutely awesome because they don't need the constant approval of the younger grades and are still sweet to one another and can respect a teacher, or they can be totally obnoxious.  And by obnoxious I mean tell you every little thing you've gotta do and don't you dare leave anything out 'cause that's not the way things go around here.  And they can give you a hard time and talk a lot and not mind that they drive you crazy.

I am so used to wielding a bottle, cleaning a messy diaper with one wipe, catching slobber before it hits any more than Alaska's chin and going for walks while she screams bloody murder that I actually wondered how I would do with a class full of 5th graders.  They're so grown-up, you know?

After checking in and getting my key to the room I found myself not only looking over the lesson plans, but checking out the room, as well.  I wandered around, picking up clues on discipline, classroom rules, and which kids do the most careful work as their art was presented on the board by the door.  The most ingenious thing I found was a shoe rack (never used for shoes) that held a plastic cup for each student to get a drink from the water cooler.  Perfect for those hot days after lunch recess.

The kids were all great, every single one of them, and responded when I asked them to be quiet and thought the science movie was totally corny, which it was, and they let me know.

 It's kind of weird, being out in public without my little side-kick of a bow-wearing smiley baby girl.  I kind of wonder if even when I don't have her attached to me in a front-pack if people can tell that I am a momma.  You get engaged and you get a sparkly ring.  Everyone knows you've got a special someone in your life.  You get married and you get another ring, doubly taken.  When you get a baby you get... spit up on your favorite shirt?  And what if you're lucky enough to get out of the house without the spit up?  How do people know you've got a kiddo at home?

I had forgotten how much I enjoy being with students and I am sad that the school year is almost over.  I will practice my baby-rearing skills over the summer and maybe by next fall I will have a characteristic that proves I am a momma even when my baby isn't at my side.  Something quirky like always saying 'sweetie' and 'honey' when referring to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment