Friday, January 13, 2012

Marathons Walkers are Made in Malls

Laugh at it. But it's true. Malls are huge. They're expansive. Driving from one side of the Macey's parking lot to the other side of the Penny's parking lot is quite the drive, and to walk that, inside, where it's warm. That's a good amount of walking.

Steven and I were getting our maternity pictures taken a smoggy Monday. I had gotten my hair trimmed up a few weeks before for the holidays and still had not learned how to master the art of blow drying it and gooping it to create the smooth effect that a person always comes out with after a good hair cut. That is why we were at the mall at 9:45 in the morning, before any of the stores were even open, for my 10:00 appointment. The parking lot was remarkably full for it being so early and as we entered the mall we found out why. There were at least a dozen walkers. Older couples. Mommies with sleeping babies in their strollers. A few weirdies. They were all walking the mall. Some were obviously more serious about it than others, complete with workout outfit and sweatbands, but it was incredible to see all of the bars down on so many of the stores but still see so many out and about, speeding through the mall in their Nikes without having to curve in and out of masses of teenagers.

I've never had good service with early morning appointments. It's like stylists run on their own time frame and don't realize that the only reason a person would be crazy enough to have their hair done at 10 in the morning would be because they've got a busy schedule ahead of them for the day. A tight schedule. Happened to me in Rexburg, as well. But I digress. At 10:30 I am finally sitting in the stylist chair with my hair dripping and the lady fussing with my locks, trying to get a feel for it, as she's not my usual hair dresser. To cut the process short and not mention the hard time she had with making it do what JoAnn does naturally, we talked brushes and blow drying and I can finally do my own hair with barable outcomes. I got the whole thing done for free, as she was so sorry for being late and not having thought to call. Thank goodness. Sometimes things just work out just right.

We walked out and were on our way in a hurry to Target to get some last minute accessories for the photo shoot, pausing just a minute to let a speed walker zip past us.

No comments:

Post a Comment