Monday, March 13, 2017

Current Things being made into Memories

A few memories for Talmage;

Talking has come slow and not too painful (only because Talmage isn't easily frustrated and can expertly try a new way of showing me what is up when I don't understand the first time.) But so slow. Slow enough that we will need to see a speech pathologist when he turns three. Because apparently that is the magic number for problems to show up and be legit.

For example, today he was trying to tell me that he fell down in the bathroom. He came out after the thud, holding his bum and saying "ow" and I played a little bit dumb and asked what happened. He repeated his "ow" and bum holding and when I insisted I didn't understand he did a great mock-up of running, sliding, and coming down on his bum. Smart one, this one is.

Last week I was laying the girls' Sunday clothes out for them. Dress, sweater, tights and Talmage held up the tites and 'tite' after one of the girls had referenced them. Later that evening I was giving him a hug and he said, "tight" and then later on in the week he couldn't get the lid off of something and again said, "tight". Weird word with multiple meanings - but he gets it.

Steven's favorite right now: Practicing the vowels A, E, O, U - every time U comes up, Talmage comes back with, "No, me!" after saying each vowel before perfectly.

My mom's favorite right now: Steven trying to get across to Talmage the "me" and "you" without Talmage saying, "No, me!" - he finally got it to work one evening and was so excited to show my mom while she was watching the kids while we went to mutual.

Steven: Here Talmage, show Nana what we've been working on.
Talmage: *Crickets*
Steven: "Like this," pointing to himself, "Me, You." Pointing at Nana, "Me, You."
Talmage: "No!" Pointing to himself, "Me!" Pointing at Nana,  "Nana!"

And goodnights. He won't sleep without Steven being home. It's mostly me, too. I just love my time with this precious one too much. His loyal, quiet ways and when he gets out of bed for the 5th time I just don't have the heart to put him back in. My hard ways of the bedtime routine have begun to be softened. We do a ritual of "This is the Church" with the hand motions before I shut out the light for him. I don't know why he loves it so much, but he was the one that insisted it be done and so it has become tradition.

A few memories for Alaska:

She loves this baby. LOVES the baby. She is always hugging and kissing on my belly and telling me how much she loves "the little one".

We started doing some reading today. I bought an USBORNE reading library that is supposed to teach kids how to read. It has taken me forever to a) get it out of the box and b) get it out of the plastic wrap. But we started today and it was absolutely amazing to see her light up when she read that first sentence all by herself. Different than all the teaching of reading that I have done in the past. I guess that is one of the powers of having your own child. I did a lot of reading with one of my brothers and I never got the same thrill when he got a word as I did when Alaska got a word. It's amazing.

Her favorite part of school today was making a paper airplane.

And this girl's cutting! She's as good as I was in like, 2nd grade. She can substantially be relied upon to cut straight lines when given a line to cut on and has successfully cut out an Elsa figure from her coloring book, expertly going around the hair and the outstretched arm and the dress - the whole thing was pretty awesome looking.

The new baby:

Squirmy little guy. The ultra sound was weird last week - seeing him move around in there but not feeling him because of that front-loaded placenta.

Squirmy little guy has me absolutely freaked out. All the energy this promises.

And, speaking of the front loaded placenta - call it weird - but he has gotten much stronger this past week and I can feel him pushing through it. And he must be kicking something fierce because I feel him inside, kick out and then I feel the placenta or whatever bounce back in and it takes my breath away a little every time. And not in the "that's so cute" way. But in the like for real, "Oooff" way and it's not so comfortable. On my left side, where the placenta is not, I can feel him kick out - but there's no retaliation of bouncing back. Weird things are going on.

Baby number three - not the same picnic as the other two, that's for sure. As much work as a newborn is, I am really ready to not be pregnant anymore. Being pregnant was never what I loved before - but this go around it is becoming something that I absolutely detest. Having three other kids just makes for a tired person - all of the time. And not the kind of tired that a nap takes care of. It is an all around 'worn out'. Thank goodness for the reward of an 18 month old eventually. Which I have decided is my favorite age.








No comments:

Post a Comment