Thursday, August 18, 2016

Hikes

We have done 6 of 10 hikes and it has been eye opening. Do I like hiking, no, not especially. I thought getting out there and seeing cool stuff would be great, which it is, but it's not something I would do for 'fun'. I am doing it to gain a goal. I feel more rounded, which is gratifying, and I enjoy taking a picture at the end to prove that it is done.

My Facebook posts have gained me a little popularity and two people have asked me for suggestions on some local hikes. That is empowering. As if I were an expert on the subject, right? Bah.

It will be something that we do again, next summer. 10 hikes a summer is just about right. It keeps you taking every opportunity that you can and maybe do a little hustling at the end. Which is what we're going to have to do. 2 weeks of summer left and 4 hikes left to do. We are going to Utah on Monday and will need to finish up the hikes there, which will also be fun. Get some variety in my photos. I have a goal to get some red rock in a photo and found a short little walk called Devil's Kitchen which is pretty much a square of red rock near Payson, rather than having to go all the way to St. George area to get my red rock photo. And it's short enough that Talmage will be able to do it without a stroller. I am borrowing a hiking backpack from someone in the ward to take with me so that I don't need to take the stroller, but that means the girls have to carry all their own water bottles and snacks and I don't know how that is going to go down.

We have done all shaded hikes. It's what you do in the PNW. All but one. One was in the sun. I can still see in my mind, Alaska on the right side of my mom crying and saying, "The sun is in my shoes!" and C to the left side of my mom, her hands covering her eyes and me mildly wondering if she is even looking where she is going. The whole walk was like that and it was painful to my ears. At the look-out point Alaska would not take a photo and I have her documented bawling her heart out with C covering her ears because it is so loud. That was our hardest one.

My two favorites have been Lewis River lower and middle falls and Sauvie's Island Warrior Rock trail. Lewis River because it was beautiful and the kids had a great time stopping to play in the water and even though it was long, it didn't feel so long because it was shaded and gently rolling. And Warrior Rock because it has a good story that my mom was able to wrap up in a Facebook post:

So Jess posted the pictures, but I have to add the details to show just how incredible this daughter of mine is. . . . . . I'm just trying to support her in reaching a goal, you know? Nothing can stop her, and she does it all with enthusiasm and a smile! So, when a scheduled appointment threatens to keep you off the trail? Leave earlier! When parking permits are 10 miles back? Race back to get the permits while the other manages kids and puts strollers together. Short on time? Hustle! Time is up? Run! And holler with "whoops" and "yips" to make the kids laugh as we charge through the tall grass and blackberry brambles. This amazing daugher of mine. . . . . Doing incredible things every day. Conquering the world one goal at a time. Never a mishap. Always an adventure to embrace. Love you! Thanks for the memorable day!

No comments:

Post a Comment