Thursday, March 24, 2016

The CASA

CASA - court appointed advocate

This lady was amazing! Besides calling on Wednesday morning, saying she didn't have any time on Thursday, and needing a visit before the following Wednesday. That was a heart rush and I just said, "Ok, how about today? We'll be home from 12-3:30 if you can fit it in." Even though most of that chunk is hard earned nap time, I was throwing it all in. But she didn't disappoint.

She came at 1:30 and stayed half a hour. 15 minutes talking to me about what we have experienced of C's behavior and another 15 minutes coloring with all the kids. She had brought coloring books and cupcakes. It was marvelous. C was kind of herself. Easily distracted and not really interested in much of anything except what she was doing right in front of her. The CASA asked to see her room and I was really grateful that I had finally put together the energy to get it up to par with the decorations. Both C and Alaska have their initials on the wall made from a wooden letter covered in glitter paper. And the Frozen cutouts from Alaska's birthday I had finally gotten up, along with the tissue paper pom-poms. It looks really darling. But C wasn't interested in showing it off. She came to show off her Anna cut-out and was right back at the table coloring, not giving a piece of anything that she was the only one in the kitchen and everyone else was in the bedroom. Usually she needs so much attention she is all up in anyone's face that comes over, but the coloring book was Elsa and Anna and that is just a whole other ball game when Frozen is in the picture.

When her and I were talking it came out that she is a retired counselor and then felt guilty knowing the need for CASA workers was so great and came back to volunteer her time in getting these kids the things they need. She was shocked to know that I knew about the Children's Program (guess it's a leaser known secret) and even more disappointed that DHS has supposed that it wasn't for me. That C wouldn't benefit from an evaluation there. When obviously I had been at my wits end and she could clearly see there was behavior stuff going on that needed to be addressed. She seemed to know that there were resources out there that I didn't know of and that was comforting. But now it has been two or three weeks since that time and nothing has become of it. So I wonder. But having her around was such a breath of fresh air. Like she got me.

This was such a relief from the attorney coming over to check in. We had a family meeting planned and the attorney wanted to come check in on the kids before that meeting. He was a special juvenile attorney but you would never guess that he works with children. I had C coloring at the table so he could talk to her and when she asked him if he wanted to color he first said no thanks and when she persisted and gave him a marker he made a drawing for her. It was almost comical to watch. It was like he didn't want to get too close to her for fear that she would grime him or something. He tried asking C questions and she would mostly repeat what he said or say something totally unrelated. Another thing she is really good at. It was her at her normal self and while I kind of wished she would have focused better, he could have done a better job at engaging her, for sure. I wasn't sure how much I was supposed to step in and help but after a half hour of him asking and her changing the subject I couldn't take it any more and made her focus and talk to him. Taking the coloring stuff away so that she could say something intelligent.

I asked him about the family meeting and I guess this whole process is kind of new for everyone and he hasn't been to one before that has been held by options. Which is a segment of the community action team. I guess. He said they would probably ask questions about the children and their needs. As vague as vague can be. I small talked him a little about where he had worked before and things like that and then let him skedaddle. He didn't seem to get much from C, but whatever.

One last thing about the CASA worker. As she was going out the door she said, "You are doing such wonderful work. This is such an ideal home and your children are lovely." Made my day for about a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment