Monday, March 11, 2013

Waiting, Not so Patiently

Things are going slowly for us right now.  No houses on the market that meet our price criteria and Steven's picky location.  I mean, it makes sense that he would like to be in a good neighborhood so that when resale time comes it will go quickly, but I keep telling him that our price range is just not in those good neighborhoods right now.  We're just a little family looking for a little place to stay a few years and not be throwing our money into the abyss.  Oh, and I guess also so that I don't feel such guilt about making a place a home by painting a few walls and putting in some acceptable carpet and counter tops.  Big wastes of money for a renter but I do believe it's those little things that make a difference in the atmosphere of the place.  Shag and orange counter tops have been out for 50 years now, people!  Of course it still works, they built things like that back then.  But you wouldn't still be driving your huge-o volkswagon around, why keep the countertops and carpet?  Let's respect our homes.

It's been kind of discouraging.  I like to make a decision, have things happen, and then be done with it.  Not being able to find a house has me doubting everything I first thought and it's easy to back out and think, no, let's just rent, or let's move in with the parents for a good two years, or let's set up an RV in the backyard for a couple of years and camp, stock piling all our money.  But it's not really what we want.  We've worked too long and too hard at being independent.  We've been in Utah, living completely on our own, using the young women in the ward as our babysitters and buying our own meager groceries to rely on anyone at this point.

My character is a white in the rainbow of character colors and this basically means that I will do anything for peace.  Anything.  And it also means that I am quick at making a decision, but never fully committed to that decision.  I may be the one person who can say, "I don't care" and honestly mean it.  This house buying thing is definitely proving that theory correct.  I made my decision, but now that it's not moving along as fast as I wanted it to, I am beginning to doubt and think up other options.

I am also itching to unpack.  We've lost my good running shoes in the process of hiding things in boxes and I am longing for them.  I've got an old pair of workout shoes at my mom's house that I've been using, but it would feel really nice to just have my favorites.  But it's really not worth the hassle to move the mountain of boxes, searching for one.  I'll just have to suck it up and be patient.

I have gotten to know the few houses that meet our criteria very well and recognize them as old friends when I see them listed.  In fact, I know them well enough that sometimes when we are driving around I recognize them and smile as I pass: I know what the kitchen looks like, where that back door goes and how many bedrooms there are.  It's interesting, but not fast enough.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. I am 100% in the same boat. Maybe I will copy and paste your post to my blog. Haha. J/K.

    I have been thinking this for awhile now. When we moved apartments, we looked at our options, went and looked at them, picked one and moved within a week. Maybe two. And now we have been waiting for about 2.5 months and will likely be waiting a whole lot longer. I just want to move. I am already planning how to pack everything. I'm tired of waiting!

    ReplyDelete